Egress Windows: Crucial Details You Should Know Milwaukee, WI
One of the ways in which you can utilize a basement is to convert it into a habitable space such as a living area, a bedroom, a laundry room, or a garage. However, as you convert your basement into a habitable space, you need to ensure that the process follows the relevant guidelines. The International Residential Code (IRC) of 2003 states that all basements that are converted into habitable spaces should have egress windows.
Aside from the requirements of the law, having an egress window installed on your basement also ensures that the basement is illuminated with nature and is well-ventilated.
Points to Note about Basements and Egress Windows
Egress windows should be installed in basements in accordance with these scenarios:
- Any habitable space that is created inside a basement must be fitted with an egress window.
- Any unfinished basement that is converted into a bedroom should have an egress window.
Professional Egress Window Installation
Egress windows are no ordinary windows. They must be installed in such a way that they play the required safety roles effectively while also keeping your basement healthy. Because of these requirements, you should always hire a professional installer if you would like to install an egress window in your basement or do basement remodeling work.
Requirements for Installing Egress Windows
According to the IRC, egress windows should meet the following requirements:
- The opening area of the window should be clear and at least 9 sq. ft in size.
- The window should have a minimum length and height of 36 inches.
- The window should be positioned 44 inches above the floor of the basement.
- Occupants of the basement should be able to open the egress window from inside. The egress window should not have any barriers like grills or bars.
- Additionally, the window does not need to be opened by a key or any other detachable device.
Factors You Need to Consider
If you are planning to install egress windows in your basement, you need to consider the following factors:
- Choose a professional company: Professional egress window installers understand the requirements that these windows should meet. They will also ensure that your windows are installed elegantly.
- Window design: While egress windows are emergency exits, they also need to be well-designed in order to have an artistic look. So you should choose a design that perfectly matches the overall theme of your house.
Contact the Professionals at Accurate Basement Repair Today! 414-744-6900
In Southeast Wisconsin, we have the only Nationally Certified Structural Repair Specialist on staff and two Nationally Certified Waterproofing Specialists on staff.
Accurate Basement Repair is a member of the NAWSRC (National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors), NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry), the Basement Health Association, the BBB (Better Business Bureau), WAHI (Wisconsin Association of Home Inspectors), BIASEW (Building Inspectors Association of South Eastern Wisconsin) and Angie’s List.
We are proud to say that we have an A+ rating with the BBB and we won two Super Service Awards from Angie’s List in 2010 – one for foundation repair and the other for basement waterproofing. Our professional and knowledgeable staff will educate you on various self-help procedures to save money on your foundation and waterproofing needs. We are NOT a franchise. Our dedicated team works year round! We use high quality and well maintained equipment which will provide the lowest impact to your landscaping. Our team of trustworthy and competent staff attends regular training, seminars and/or trade shows, so they are able stay up-to-date on everything that is happening in the foundation restoration and waterproofing industry. We provide outstanding customer service throughout the entire repair process – from estimate to completion. And last, but not least… Accurate Basement Repair is the #1 referred foundation repair company by professional engineers, basement consultants, realtors, municipal building inspectors, home inspectors, lenders, property management companies and most importantly, our past customers.