Egress Windows: Crucial Details You Should Know Milwaukee, WI
One of how you can utilize a basement is to convert it into a habitable space such as a living area, a bedroom, a laundry room, or a garage. However, as you transform your basement into a livable space, you must ensure that the process follows the relevant guidelines. The International Residential Code (IRC) of 2003 states that all basements converted into habitable rooms should have egress windows.
Aside from the requirements of the law, having an egress window installed on your basement also ensures that the basement is illuminated with nature and is well-ventilated.
Points to Note about Basements and Egress Windows
Egress windows should be installed in basements in accordance with these scenarios:
- Any habitable space created inside a basement must be fitted with an egress window.
- Any unfinished basement converted into a bedroom should have an egress window.
Professional Egress Window Installation
Egress windows are no ordinary windows. They must be installed so that they play the required safety roles effectively while also keeping your basement healthy. Because of these requirements, you should always hire a professional installer if you would like to install an egress window in your basement or do basement remodeling work.
Requirements for Installing Egress Windows
According to the IRC, egress windows should meet the following requirements:
- The opening area of the window should be clear and at least nine sq. ft in size.
- The window should have a minimum length and height of 36 inches.
- The window should be positioned 44 inches above the floor of the basement.
- Occupants of the basement should be able to open the egress window from inside. The egress window should not have any barriers like grills or bars.
- Additionally, the window does not need to be opened by a key or other detachable device.
Factors You Need to Consider
If you are planning to install egress windows in your basement, you need to consider the following factors:
- Choose a professional company: Professional egress window installers understand the requirements these windows should meet. They will also ensure that your windows are installed elegantly.
- Window design: While egress windows are emergency exits, they also need to be well-designed to have an artistic look. So you should choose a design that perfectly matches the overall theme of your house.
Contact the Professionals at Accurate Basement Repair Today! 414-744-6900